Thursday, September 8, 2011

Someplace like America---response #3


                      
“Crumbs for the rest of us”
As I started reading this story and read about the homeless man that was killed in California. I honestly cried. Is this really the country we are all so proud to live in? After reading a few pages I just feel embarrassed honestly. I have known all along that there are many homeless veterans that live on the streets and in bushes or underpasses, but I never realized how they were treated. They put up with death threats, police ambushes and of course, hunger. Knowing that men who fought for our lives and the freedom we have today are living in these kinds of circumstances, makes me feel sick for every time I have whined or complained about something selfish.   
                                                                                                                          As we go through this economic struggle, all we really hear about is the wealthy and not the real hard working and low-income Americans. As Dale Maharidge says “Trillions for the titans. Crumbs for the rest of us.” I think this quote really sums up what is going on in this new great depression we are going through. We see millions of people who have worked in factories and fields that get shut down and sent home because of these new struggles. When really, we have already been through this with the depression in the 30’s. I wonder how we ever recovered from that until just a few years ago when we started this newdepression.                                                                                                                       
 Hearing the stories about these homeless people in California that fought in the Vietnam war, just makes me embarrassed. Something needs to be done about the homeless and everyone else who is suffering and working 4 jobs trying to feed their children, but what? I often wonder about other countries and why they aren’t going through the same struggles as we are? Are we too proud to reach out and learn from other countries and use some of their ideas? Yea I guess we are.

No comments:

Post a Comment